This is what the front lawn looked like before. It was also about the only shady spot left in the yard and if I wanted to add more Hostas, this is where they needed to go.
This is set up in Journal format. You can click on ANY picture to enlarge it.
I put together this pic of the front yard and started playing in "Paint".
The original concept of an island garden grew to a peninsula extension of the exisiting gardens.
The creation of the actual garden began with a hose and a can of spray paint to mark the new area.
This took a few tries. (See the multiple strips of paint.) When I was happy, I began to lift a spade's width of sod around the edges of the garden.
More lifting of sod. Lifting of the sod wasn't really necessary, but I wanted the clean edge to the garden that it afforded.
Same amount done - just a different viewpoint.
More done! The hose in this case was there to moisten the soil as it was dry under the trees and hard to work with.
This shows the first cut of the spade as I progressed around the bend.
The entire garden edged to make a clean break from the lawn.
Once edged, the entire garden was covered with a thick (several sections)layer of newspaper and watered well. I also left most of the sod which I lifted upside down under the newspaper and spread a layer of fresh grass clippings as well.
Then came the soil - a mixture of garden loam and mushroom compost. I was able to get them to drive right up onto the lawn and dump most of it where we wanted it. Had some ruts to fill, but they weren't noticeable for long.
View from the other side.
Then the work began spreading it evenly and top dressing all the other gardens as well.
Work in progress.
Still in progress.
View from the street. I planted some Sedum edging along the garden close to the street.
I lifted the cedar mulch on the adjoining gardens in order to add soil and replaced it on top of the new soil.
Here it is done. I didn't plant anything permanent in it so as not to destroy the newspaper layer before the grass was dead.
But I did plant an Astilbe that I divided as well as some small Hostas that had been in pots. They will be moved this spring to permanent locations.
from another angle
Left over soil gave me an additional garden extension in the back yard, also done with newspaper.
Spring 2008 - Hostas (and other plants) planted and stones set in place around the garden.